Thursday, November 6, 2008

Choose a Side


Today in LA there were protesters outside of the temple - singling out the church and the prophet for their support of Proposition 8. The leaders of this group plan to raise money to overthrow Prop. 8. Donors will have the option to donate in honor of President Monson. When they do, he will get a letter each time that shows their disgust at what the church has done to support traditional marriage. Looks like we get to have a taste of the protest right here in SLC at Temple Square tomorrow.

In light of these news articles, here is a quote from Ezra Taft Benson to ponder:


As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. The honest in heart heed his words, but the unrighteous either ignore the prophet or fight him. When the prophet points out the sins of the world, the worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn't exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Many a prophet has been killed or cast out. As we come closer to the Lord's second coming, you can expect that as the people of the world become more wicked, the prophet will be less popular with them.


I feel that Proposition 8 was the first of many very hard issues that we will be faced with. Living in Utah, as I watched the news, I was amazed at how many "faithful" members of the LDS church were publicly opposing the prophet and his counsel because they had a family member who was gay and didn't want to see them get hurt. I was in awe. I have listened to other members say that they don't agree, and until the prophet says that he's received revelation about it, that they will continue to disagree. Wha???

My brother pointed me to this scripture that I've never quite understood till now:

Matthew 10:27-40:
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but
a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father and the
daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or
mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more
than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth
after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he
that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. He that receiveth you receiveth
me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me."

While watching the events unfold I kept thinking: Sifting. Wheat and tares. 10 Virgins. We know that the parable of the 10 virgins is a parable about the members of Christ's church. There will be a great many who won't be prepared for the wedding.

I think this sifting will continue. I know the prophet will continue to speak for the Lord. I feel the opposition will get stronger and it will get harder and harder to stay on the fence. Everyone will have to choose a side. What are we willing to sacrifice to be worthy of the Lord?

Who's on the Lord's side, who? Now is the time to show.

15 comments:

Staley Family said...

I wish that I had something as profound to write as you just did. We had decided that if Prop 8 had not passed in California that we were going to look for another place to live, thank goodness it passed because another place to live would have most likely been Texas. I am so scared for my children and what we have to go through before we get to see Christ again, but I know that as long as we are faithful we can overcome anything. I just hope that everyone could understand how important the family is in its eternal purpose, the way our Heavenly Father created it to be.

shanl said...

Love it Rindee! I agree! I am always amazed when truth brings about anger instead of understanding. And there is already a sifting occurring. I just hope we can all stay faithful and not be misled. Satan is so very very cunning. LOVE the quote by President Benson too! Thank you for sharing!

Sharlee said...

So very well put! Yesterday I heard a snippet from Glen Beck on the radio saying something to this effect: "people are looking for someone to be an example." They are just waiting for someone to stand up for what they themselves believe in to validate them and then they will follow. I appreciate you, Shan'l, and Braxton for clarifying so many things and being that shining example. I already believe these things of course but I forget to share and even if I did I wouldn't be able to put it so eloquently. You guys have given it more thought than the average soul because of Bradin and I appreciate you sharing what you've learned through this process.
Our theory is that gay people don't really give a hoot about marriage. (They might think they do) But it is really an agenda to gain acceptance (their whole life is about gaining acceptance). Marriage is not sacred to them but if they were allowed to be married that would mean to them that the world accepted them and that would validate their sinful life.

Unknown said...

Rindee, I wish I could insert this whole post on my blog- I have been so upset about this change in people. It bothers me how those who speak out against Prop 8 are brave, but those of us who support this ban are "Close Minded"- why is one position braver than the other? Is it not brave to be moral and ethical in a country who has forgotten what those words even mean?

If your father robbed a bank does that make stealing suddenly acceptable? What about child molesting? Then what about same sex marriage? When we erase the line of moral grounds it disappears for all, and it is a mistake. Thank you for this beautiful post!

Andrea said...

Ohhh...I get it. Fence-sitting. It took me a minute. It scares the pants off me to think of what is in store for people who believe in righteousness and morality. Just this morning as I drove Saylor to school I was pondering my own strength. I am so timid and don't usually talk about my opinions (beliefs), but I think that it is becoming increasingly important to voice those beliefs and stick by them, regardless of the consequences. Yikes. Makes me want to become a hermit.

So apparently Pres. Monson has to preface everything he says with, "I have received revelation that..."? Wow. How dumb are people? It infuriates me that sometimes members of our own church can do more harm than good. Don't we have enough opposition from the world without actual members to contend with?

Welcome said...

Rindee, this was so well written and composed. I agree with you 110%. When Michigan voted to pass the marriage law 'tween one man and one woman, I cried when I voted in favor of the amendment. I cried because I knew it was the right thing to do but that my dear gay friend, who wanted so badly to have a state recognized family and watched and cared for our son for us each month as we attended the Detroit temple, would be blatantly denied what he thought his heart so desired. It is not an easy thing to do when someone dear to you is directly effected but, it remains the right thing to do. For all those who voted "yes" to proposition 8, I commend their integrity and quiet courage. It is not always easily done. May we all continue to "choose right" when the choice is placed before us.

Coupon Person said...

I'm so amazed (though I shouldn't be) that people are still so MAD about this. I thought it would quietly go away for another 4 years, but people are still talking about it, and pointing fingers, and blaming the church for the prop's defeat. I'm sick about it. I'm with you, Rindee, this is the first in a long line of things that are going to divide the people (friends and families included).

Zach and Sarah said...

We'll be fighting this and other moral issues for the rest of our lives. I just read another article today by Ezra Taft Benson that said it straight out--follow the Brethren--follow the Brethren--follow the Brethren. I love that man and his straight forward messages.

Sara Liechty said...

Thank You for your post. I agree whole heartedly with you about this. I too believe that we are being tested and we need to decide whose side we are on. I have been watching this issue so closely since I have so many friends in California and that's where I used to live. All the stories about the protesters at the temples make me so sad and the LA temple was not the first to be protested against. Satan is working so hard to try and persuade and make sacred things look not so sacred any more. He is attacking the family. We all need to stay strong. Pick our side and not be persuaded otherwise. Great post!

Paige of Pearls said...

Thanks, Rindee. I enjoy seeing your strong personality emerge right here in your blog! It's clear what your stand is on every subject. Thanks for finding ways to get people to think about the important things! You're right on!

Amberlyn said...

The scripture you shared really struck a chord with me. Especially since I have family members who have entirely different points of views.

It is very easy for me to see how politics can divide a family. Brother against brother(sister). It reminds me of the civil war.

I know what I believe in and I am ready to fight for it. And if that means standing up to a family member, then so be it. It will be the hardest thing for me to do.

My faith has given me everything. Family, freedom, joy and happiness. How can I stand around and watch all that is good in my be taken away? I can't.

I agree with Sara. We will be fighting for our moral values for the rest of our lives.

Ashley said...

Well done Rindee. I'm sorry, but I liken these protestors to my two year old who throws a fit when he doesn't get his way. I liked what you said and I liked how it was said. Thanks.

Ashley said...

Well done Rindee. I'm sorry, but I liken these protestors to my two year old who throws a fit when he doesn't get his way. I liked what you said and I liked how it was said. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I have appreciated the uplift that this post has given me. This subject has become something I have been concerned about for some time, and I'll admit that every idea presented in this forum has been rattling around in my head, trying to make sense of it all and taking the ideas to their logical destination. None of it is pretty, especially the part about the sifting the members of the church, and the Constitution hanging by a thread. Makes me want to just pack up my family and food storage, and move to Missouri so that I am ready and don't have to camp. I hate camping. Anyway, thanks again! It helps to know there are people around who are vigilant and strong. You guys rock!

Nikki said...

Rindee, so well put, it feels like you are writing what I am thinking and feeling.

The arguments being made for the acceptance of homosexual behavior and same sex marriage are deceiving a lot of people. But the Lord has not left us without guidance!! We can know the truth and how to act if we will just listen and follow. The Lord's prophets are speaking!! Are we going to obey?