I had my Dad's name for Christmas this year. My dad is kind of hard to get a gift for because he isn't into "things" very much. He is content with what he has and never wishes for more gadgets or gizmos. If you ask him what he wants for Christmas, it has always been "socks or ties." I have noticed, though, that he does appreciate homemade gifts and he does love his family. So this is what I came up with. I drew cartoons of each member of my family - parents and siblings. This was quite a feat I tried my best to delegate to my more accomplished and artistic siblings, but to no avail, it ended up in my lap. I embroidered 8 blocks representing each family member doing something that they enjoy.
Wyn is playing volleyball
Shan'l is playing the guitar
Mattie Rae with her motorcycle and helmet
Dad golfing
Mom holding a chicken
Me holding a pedigree chart
Bradin singing on stage
and Braxton painting
The middle block says "Families are like quilts, pieced together with memories, bound together with love." The colorful blocks were put together in a log-cabin style with fabrics and colors that would match my parents' bedroom or living room. I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out, and my dad seemed to appreciate it. I didn't count how long it took me, although each embroidered block took about an hour. It's been worth it to hear my family say, "That is Dad's smile!" or "That looks just like Mom!" or "That's just like Mattie's hair!"
8 comments:
It turned out great! We all loved it!
I don't know how you chose just ONE thing for each member of the family to be doing in their picture! You're all so talented! That is a great idea, and I'm sure he appreciated it more than any old pair of socks.
well good job! It turned out so nice! I am impressed!
What a cute idea!
It turned out great.
You did a GREAT job with that quilt Rindee. You are such a talented person!!!
That is a lot of work! It looks great.
What a thoughtful gift! I marvel at all you do, Rindee. What a lucky father. :)
I love that idea. I might copy you.
You're amazing.
Post a Comment