
Have you ever seen people in their 40's who seem to still have 80's hair and makeup even though that was 2 decades ago? I've often wondered why they haven't caught on to the latest style and updated their look. It seems that this isn't only the case with people who lived in the 80's. I've seen people who can't let go of the 70's or 90's for that matter. After much thought on the subject, I've come to this conclusion: These people often seem to be stuck in the era that they lived in in their high school years. This is typically a person's prime time for fashion, beauty, and popularity. What ever made them "beautiful" at the time seems to have burned an impression in the style nodule of their brain and no matter how the world changes around them, they simply cannot see themselves in any other way. A good example of this is Napoleon Dynamite's Uncle Rico.
I VOWED that would never be me. Although I am not and have never been the most fashionable or have put much effort in following the latest trends, I do pay attention to how styles change and try to at least stay in the current decade.
I do enjoy playing with my hair. It grows quickly and so I've tried about every color and length there is in the last 15 years. I've had my hair long and straight, long and curly, shoulder length both straight and curly, and really short both straight and curly(to save myself from complete embarrassment, I won't include a picture of the short and curly phase). I've dyed it red, blonde, black, auburn, and even purple.
But lately, for lack of creativity and ever too much frugality, I have let my hair just grow. No fancy colors or high-stylin' cut. And then I realized one day: I have the same haircut I had in High School. I'm one of "them".
Please see below montage of the last 15 years of Rindee's hair-do's in chronological order starting as a Junior in High school...

Notice the similarities between the first and the last picture taken just last year. Maybe my subliminal self is somewhat like Uncle Rico. "If I could just get back to '95."
My consciousness replies ever so forcibly, "PLEASE, NO!"
If anyone has a number for a support group, I could use some help here.
6 comments:
I have been fearing the moment in my life when I realize I'm stuck in a certain year for a long time. I've always looked at those people and wondered how they could be so oblivious and figured it could happen to me, too. I'm just that way: once I'm comfortable with a style, I keep it. (except my hair). As for your hair, I must point out the origination point of your bangs. Now, unless I'm wrong the current pic includes bangs that do NOT start smack dab in the middle of your scalp. And there's the key. :) Your hair is cute. I love the montage.
That is hilarious! You look beautiful in every picture though.
Thank you for that. I have pondered some of those same thoughts, and dread ending-up as one of "those." Hence my recent drastic haircut. I, too, began to notice a far-too-close resemblance to my high school self. So, even though it's not the most stylish or beautiful do, at least I don't feel like I'm trying to recreate a moment in history (which, by the way, I'd rather forget than live all over again. Thank you anyway, Rico).
I have actually thought about that too and it's a sensitive subject. I was looking at all of the pictures on my computer over the last 7 years and there was 1 picture where my hair wasn't in a sloppy little bun. Right now I have the same hair as my high school prom. I think it has more to do with low maintenance than style for me, I try to have long hair, but It never looks good enough to justify the amount of time I spent on it, so I end up lopping it off so that I at least look maintained. so I'll probably have the same hair when I'm 60, unless my kids eventually get me on Oprah for a make-over because I'm so embarassing.
I love your montage. You look beautiful in every picture. I can hear the friends theme song playing in my head as I look at some of them:)
I am dying that is so funny! You look good in all of them too. So not fair. I have had my fair share of different do's including colors
so. . .according to your chart, the next time I come down it's time for a PERM!
Post a Comment