If you remember, my sister Mattie Rae organized a horseback riding lesson for me for my birthday. Thursday was the day. I dressed in my new cowgirl outfit for the occasion and met my Mom, Mattie Rae and my niece Madison (Shan'l couldn't come so Madison took her place). We went to the farm where we got the harnesses and some grain. Mom was in charge of carrying the grain bucket. She asked our "teacher" who was actually her neighbor Brother Murdock what it was. He said "grain". She sticks her hand in there and stirs it around and feels it. (This is very typical of my Mother. She likes to experience everything with all her senses. She has to touch and taste everything new. I am the complete opposite. I'm content with just looking. I have no desire to touch or taste anything I'm not familiar with. I am always giving her a hard time about this.) Teasingly, I asked her if she was going to taste it, too. She said "Yeah." But not believing her, I turned away. When I glance back at her she's spitting out the hull and says "Wheat". Alarmed, I said "Mom, what if it is medicated?" She replies "Well, it wouldn't be the first time I've had animal medicine. You know Absorbine?" My mom was raised on a dairy farm and consequently her dad used some of the same medications for his family. Absorbine is an antiseptic used on animals and they later made another version called Absorbine Jr. that I remember getting treated with as a child as well. Doesn't mean I'm going to eat horse food.
So then we go out to the pasture to catch our horses. Brother Murdock puts leading harnesses on the ones we will use and hands us each a horse. The one he handed to me was white with black speckles named Bonnie. I noticed that Bonnie only had one eye and asked him about it out of curiosity. He said that she got her eye poked by a wire on a fence and they had to remove her eye. I am very intimidated by horses and so was extra nervous knowing my horse might be more skittish because of her vision impairment. But he assured me she was a good horse and hadn't ever done anything wrong. And she did prove to be a wonderful horse. Just in case you are curious, I've included a photo to satisfy your curiosity. It's not every day you see a one-eye'd horse. And now we know why we have glass eyes. It's kind of unnerving to see an empty eye socket.
We loaded them up in the trailer and took them to another field where we would saddle them and ride them. First, he had us brush them down. He said that if their back is dirty where the saddle goes it can cause irritation. I think it also helps the horse and rider get to know each other a bit better. I know it helped me feel more comfortable.
Then he put saddles on them and had me lead Bonnie around a bit with her saddle on. Then we
When we were finished we brought them back and Bro. Murdock took the saddles off. We brushed them again and put the horses away. Bro. Murdock gets out his lasso and a bucket and shows us how to rope the bucket. Then he gives Madison a try and she does a great job. She's a natural. Then Mom goes and has trouble and ends up lassoing herself a few times. She gives up and Mattie Rae gives it a go. She had the same trouble as Mom and I start to get nervous thinking it's harder than it looks. Bro Murdock demonstrates again and then it's my turn. See video below.
Yee Haw! I'm a cowgirl! I'm one step closer to my goal of riding in a cattle round-up someday!
7 comments:
You are now and OFFICIAL Spanish Forkian!!!
Looks like you had a great time!!!
Aww...Absorbine and horses. Nothing better. I, too, have been regalled with Absorbine stories since my youth - isn't it amazing our parents lived to tell the tales? Glad you had fun, and we'll invite you to our next sisters day! Better yet, why don't we have a cousin-get-together again sometime when I can come?!
Sounds like so much fun! I think horse riding is fun! Especially when you are doing it with fun people!
Way to rope, rindee! It was so fun to see that clip of your mom trotting around like an old pro. Fun.
Absorbine?! Yes, we were raised on that awful stuff as a cure-all for everything from muscle soreness to acne breakouts!! Both of my parents were farmer's kids, and that's just the way it was done. Your mom is sometimes so much like my mom - very sensory-oriented.
What a great birthday present, Mattie Rae!! I love experiences rather than things, especially when you can share it and laugh about it with someone else! Looks like fun!
I loved this post! And I loved that you got a new outfit.
Haylee has always had a love for horses. I keep hoping that she'll decide she wants to give up dance and be a rider. I always point to those Rodeo Princesses in the 24th of July Parade and tell her how she would make such a cute Rodeo Queen.
After watching your video- you might be the next beaty riding in the SF parade!
Way to go!
I love your outfit so cute! I love that you dressed for the occasion. What fun to go horseback riding with your mom and niece. Uhm yeah the one eyed horse kinda scary ;)
Post a Comment