Today we took our children to the Draper Temple Open House. Rick was so good to make it a teaching experience. He started the trip with his testimony of the temple and a family prayer. Then he put in some primary music about the temple which set such a lovely mood for our drive. We were running a bit late, but we met the Condie's at the designated chapel where we got to watch a movie about why temples are important to the LDS people. From there we took a charter bus up to the temple and got to have our tour.
The children did so well. They were quiet and respectful and we didn't loose anyone! I so wished that I could have had a more personal experience with each of my children to talk with them about what they were seeing, to answer their questions, and to help them recognize the spirit we were feeling there. It touched my heart to see little 3 year old Jaeda walking through the Temple halls with her head bowed and her arms folded. I loved seeing my kids gasp at the beauty of the rooms and the art. The slowly rotating crystal chandelier in the Celestial Room was everyone's favorite.
At the end of the tour, we went into a sealing room where there was a couple that talked to us a little about being sealed for eternity. It was fun to have our kids look through the mirrors and to explain that the reflection there represents eternity. Also, with Braxton and Becky's wedding near, it made it more personal for them to think that they would be married in a room very similar to the one we were in.
I'm so thankful that we could take our children to the temple open house. Who knows if we will ever have another opportunity to tour a temple near us. Instead of the temple being some mysterious far off place, maybe the temple will be more tangible to them now. Although it hasn't yet been dedicated, we all were able to feel the Spirit there. I hope my kids remember this day with fondness and that this memory will help compel them to live worthily to enter it often as they come of age.
1 comment:
I'm so glad you were able to take your family. We went to the open house tonight. It was late and we were tired, but I'm sure my two older kids were impressed.
How wonderful that you bore your testimonies to your children. Don't you just love moments like this? Don't you wish they could last forever?
Thanks for your example Rindee!
Post a Comment