Friday, July 11, 2008

Flashback Friday - Yellow Belt



Mattie Rae talked me into taking private Kempo Karate lessons with her. So, once a week I went to north Orem to take lessons in a very small class with 3-5 students. I loved it. It was amazing how it changed me. My confidence improved, I felt safer and felt capapble. Even my dreams changed. At times I used to dream like I was running through darkness not being able to see anything or move as quickly as I needed to. No more dreams like that. They changed to being protective of myself and my family. Everything was clearer and I was in control. I liked that. Rick was very supportive and watched the kids so I could pursue one of my childhood dreams. I went on to earn my Orange belt and my Purple belt. I had to quit after my Purple belt test, as I was like 6 months pregnant with Jaeda, and my balance was hopeless. While I was busy being a mother, we lost access to our do-jo, and our teacher, Doug Anderson decided not to teach anymore.
This is my instructor, Doug Anderson, teaching me the proper way to tie my new belt. After 4 weeks of private karate lessons, I got to test for my yellow belt. Here is my initiation punch after being awarded my yellow belt. It didn't hurt, but it sure knocked me off balance.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cool! I am sure the day will come when you can get back in to it.... there is a season, right?

You have so many hidden talents! What's next?

Mattie Rae said...

Awesome. That brought back memories for me too!