Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Battle Creek Hike

I saw that a friend of mine took her kids on a 1/2 mile hike to "Battle Creek Falls" in Pleasant Grove. It looked like a fun kid hike, so I looked up the coordinates for the trailhead online, and off we went on a hike.

My GPS led us to a parking area on the mountain side. From there I wasn't quite sure where to go. It looked like there was a park, and 2 other could be trails. We were in a hurry, trying to get the hike in before I had to be back to work at the cannery that afternoon, so we picked one and went.

I kept my GPS with us, and we hiked almost a mile with no sign of the trail-end in site. We ran out of time, so we had to turn around and head back. We only saw one other lone hiker while we were on the trail.

We did follow a mountain stream most of the way and we did see a couple of cool waterfalls, but none that looked like the one my friend got to play in. We got to see a pool of water where we could see little fish swimming. There was also a stretch of our trail that was quite tretcherous with a long drop to the bottom if one ventured too close to the edge (We all held hands along there). I think we took the wrong trail. It was beautiful anyway, and as you can see from the pictures, my kids had a great time getting dirty. Isn't that what makes the outdoors fun?

Check out all the dirty bums!


1 comment:

Andrea said...

Looks like fun. Sadly we have not taken one single hike this summer - don't know how we'd do it with an 83-year-old in tow. We've had to revise a lot of plans this year. Aw well. I suppose nature will still be there someday when we can make it out to enjoy it.

p.s.concerning your comment on my blog, isn't it so liberating to think you might be done having babies? Yeah, I felt really happy and excited there for about a year. That's why I am so confused now.