I wish I could have seen what kind of discussion happened in the debate after President Benson's testimony, but I didn't see this debate (Edit: I looked for the full version of the debate, and couldn't find it. My conclusion is that someone put together clips of the debates along witht he audio to spark some thought. I still find it moving). I find the comment about "being fed Socialism a little at a time" especially interesting after our Federal Government has just taken over Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, essentially now running our Mortgage system. What about the part about weakening our economy until we fall like over ripe fruit into the hands of Communism? Our economy is hurting. Are we that desperate? Do we have a choice?
Being uncomfortable with both of the major Presidential Candidates this year, I have for the first time ever begun to study our Constitution. Never in my public education was I ever taught it, or encouraged to read it. I'm finding that our government is a lot bigger than our founding fathers intended it to be - stretching it's fingers into every part of our lives. Many of the government programs are good and bring relief to those in need. But it is what America was meant to be?
In our Stake Conference on Sunday Ann M. Dibb (2nd Counselor in the General YW Presidency) gave a wonderful parable about homemade rolls. She described how she volunteered to make homemade rolls for a Young Women activity. She started 5 hours ahead of time to begin the rolls. At the activity, the young women "oohed" and "aahed" at the warm "light as air" rolls and exclaimed how they were the best they had ever eaten!
Sister Dibb explained why she wanted to make these rolls for them. First of all, because she loved the girls and wanted them to taste the REAL thing. We are so used to counterfeit things in our lives. If we've never tasted the REAL thing, how would we know to reject that which is counterfeit? If stale, store-bought rolls are what you think rolls are, then why would you spit it out demanding warm "light as air" rolls if you've never tasted them? Does it change what is real?
With my recent thoughts and studies being upon our country and the Constitution, I started to wonder if what I have known of "freedom" is merely a stale, store-bought version of what it could be... or used to be. Our government is providing for the poor, providing for our retirement, providing health care to anyone regardless of ability to pay, telling us to wear seat belts, requiring us to own auto insurance, requiring a licence and permit to hunt even on our own land, and in some neighborhoods laws even dictate the color you can paint your house.
I'm not sure what I'll do come Election day. Some may say "Well? Vote for the lesser of the 2 evils". But doesn't that mean you are still voting for evil? I really believe that we live in a promised land and the Lord has promised to continue to bless us as long as the majority chooses righteousness. I think we will be held accountable for our vote. I will vote for whoever I feel will lead our country in righteousness and preserve the Constitution regardless of whether I feel they have any chance at winning. At least I've done my part. What will the rest of America do?
P.S. Oh, and why does John McCain look like he can hardly hold his words in every time the camera is on him? Did any one else notice that? I'm trying to see if I can find another clip that shows the candidates' comments.
11 comments:
Here, here! Thank You, Rindee, for so eloquently recapping my much-too-frustrated-to-express feelings on the subject!
O.K., you said it, sis! I am so inspired by your studying, and by everything your wrote. I am so not informed. Luckily, I have a husband who was a history major and follows politics closely and he is ALWAYS giving "speeches" in our home about this very thing. But he couldn't have said it better than you did. Thank you so much for sharing. I read it to my boys and made them listen to the clip. They need to understand. Their generation is so lost in a virtual world that they are going to be 5 times more ignorant and passive as we are. I would love to see more of that meeting. And yes, I was wondering what on earth McCain was doing. It looked as if he wanted to argue every point Pres. Benson made, didn't it?
I couldn't agree with you more. I really do feel that this land will be preserved. And it is up to us to help that happen. By studying the candidates and making and educated vote.
John McCain can't raise his arms above his head due to his time as a POW. He was hung up by his hands and hung there for I'm not sure how long. It is hard to watch him not have mobility. But when you understand why, I think it makes it even harder to watch.
Interesting post. Definitely inspires me to learn more... and more.
Have you read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand? It is long, but it will frighten you... she never thought it would actually happen. read it.
I blogged about the same thing today. I am nervous, very nervous, and never have been . We are losing our freedoms (please add the automobile industry to your listof gov't take overs) And you probably noticed... TAXES are not in the constitution.
Thank you for looking at this. We are more communist than China, some analysts say. And only 12% of Americans believe in teh candidate they vote for. Why are we voting for them?
I may punch the 3rd party hole just to make a point.... I am not voting for socialism.
I have voted 3rd party for years. I guess it's because I don't have any faith in the Republican party; and in Utah, my vote doesn't really count. But I can face myself at the end of the day.
This is a subject that I have been torn about for some time. Christ taught to take care of the poor, the sick, and the afflicted. I think of people in my situation, who have children with special needs. I am fortunate to be able to care for my own, but what of those who don't have that financial advantage? What if you can't afford a wheel chair? Or take them to the hospital? It would be nice to think that extended family would pitch in and help on their own, but in the real world, it doesn't always and can't always play out like that. My life isn't only about "special needs" but when you're in the middle of it, your perspective changes to consider things you otherwise wouldn't. I would hate to think of my children begging on the corner and dying young because they couldn't receive the care they needed. But that has been the way the "infirm" have lived and died for thousands of years.
There are as many things that I disagree with as agree with in each party in out current 2-party system. What's a person to do? I think we vote based on the individual issue, not by party or ideology. Use your agency, and use your reasoning capability, both are unique to the human race.
I have even looked at the alternative parties, such as the Constitutional and the Libertarian parties. While they look good on paper, and their philosophies can be appealing, every party has their own agenda, and I cannot support radical ideals of any kind. Extremism in any form is dangerous.
Okay, now it's time to take a nice deep breath and let someone else have a turn! Thanks for the stimulating and timely conversation, Rindee and everyone else!
I like the 2 party system for a number of reasons. First, by organizing into a party, it gives my one vote more power. It's hard to briefly explain why, but you can think about it. Also, because of the power of the party, it helps me get what I want from my elected officials because they are accountable to the party. You don't get everything you want all of the time in a country as large and diverse as ours, but the 2 party system is a good way to make sure I have a say in the party platform, and gives me the power to get some of what I want some of the time. And if you think about it, that's pretty darn good.
(So, i don't have a problem voting for my party candidate, even if I don't agree with her/him 100%. Can't complain, I had my say in the primaries. But I don't think McCain for me is the lesser of 2 evils, I think he's a wonderful candidate who is wise and has personal integrity. Obama, however, is a great speaker, and good looking, but has socialist values and I don't like his foreign policy)
Also, I think our government is nothing but the result of the lifstyle and circumstances of the citizenry. What I mean is, our level of freedom will always be dependent upon the ability of the people to govern themselves. If we can't see that it's responsible to have auto insurance, then we'll need to make laws. If the banking industry makes unwise loans and it hurts the stability of the economy, then we all (the gov't) are going to have to pay for that.
I'm having a hard time finding the full debate. What I did find, though, made be wonder if it was compiled by someone else. Which would make John McCain's fidgityness staged. But, I still think Pres. Benson's testimony in light of our current election is thought-promoting.
Thank you for sharing your research and that video. It was very thought provoking. Our future seems so unsure right now. Thank you for setting the example to be informed and take our vote seriously
If we don't vote for the less of two evils, aren't we in reality voting for the "most" evil? If I don't vote for either of the two major parties (knowing in fact that no other candidate held a chance) I am in fact giving my vote to the "most" evil party. If I vote for the less of two evils, I am at least x-ing out a vote cast for the "evilest" candidate. Does this make sense? I think we DO need to vote for the lesser of two evils. By making your vote count, you are doing more for the cause of righteousness! I just think it is better to vote for "some" righteousness, then to allow our vote not count at all.
Joseph Smith had something to say about that very thing. Please see my Constitution Day post for his quote.
Post a Comment