Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Happy Constitution Day!


It's the day we celebrate our wonderful Constitution! Like I've mentioned in a previous post, I am currently reading and studying our Constitution for the first time in my life. My eyes are beginning to open and I'm beginning to see our country in a new light because of it. I'm a bit bothered by the fact that I can't recall a single lesson on the Constitution in all of my schooling years. I don't want it to be that way for my kids. So, this Constitution day, my kids will have a little Constitution Day lesson. No, I'm not as amazing as you may have thought. I found some awesome online grade-appropriate lessons at the k12 website. Check it out. You may even learn something - I did!


I would think our country would celebrate such an anniversary more openly. How many of you were aware it was Constitution day? What a wonderful, inspired document that has served as the skeleton to our current government. It is what has allowed America to be so prosperous, so blessed.

Here are some things I'm pondering on this Constitution day:

In an election year especially, I would think that Presidential Candidates would want to at least appear the most patriotic as one who wants to represent our great nation. Upon inspection, I found that only 3 of the 13 political party Presidential Candidates even recognized today as Constitution day on their campaign websites. Note that none of the 3 were members of our 2 major political parties.
America's first President, George Washington did not belong to a political party. He believed they did not best serve the people's interests. Most of America's founding fathers were opposed to political parties, and wanted none of them in the U.S - Wikipedia


A quote for Joseph Smith in regards to the question of whether to vote for the “Whig” candidate or the “Democratic” candidate in the election of 1844, and his unwillingness to vote for either, the Prophet Joseph Smith stated:


“….we shall have the satisfaction of knowing that we have acted conscientiously, and have used our best judgment. And if we have to throw away our votes, we had better do so upon a worthy rather than an unworthy individual who might make use of the weapon we put in his hand to destroy us.”- Times and Seasons, Nauvoo, IV, 441


D&C 109:14 ...all those who shall worship in this house may be taught words of wisdom out of the best books, and that they may seek learning even by study, and also by faith...
I know that in the past I have assumed similar political opinions based on what my parents thought, or what people I admire thought, or from the information that I heard on the news. I have never really done much of my own research on politics, government, or even early American history as it applies to the governemnt until recently. I find the more I study the actual documents, the lives of the founding fathers, and American history, the more I feel my eyes opening. Although there are many that do study and learn and even voice their opinions, I find that the majority of us are more comfortable staying out of politics. We listen to the news a bit and then we'll show up at the polls on Election Day and feel we've done our part. I am thankful that through my research, I've gained a greater sense of patriotism, stronger, more educated opinions, and a greater desire to study the Book of Mormon and what it teaches us about government.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I am guilty of being ignorant to most of what goes on in politics. I like to use the excuse that I'm so behind there's no way to catch up (whenever I watch some show on tv with Ty that has to do with politics, and I get all riled up, but don't know enough to know anything really). I know it's not good, but I let Ty do all the research and trust him to summarize it all for me once a week or so. I need to do better - elections are fast approaching!

Anonymous said...

Being married to someone who has studied the constitution (while in law school), and keeps very up to date on political and social issues around the world has given me many an opportunity to be on the receiving end of impromptu speeches on a regular basis. Most of the time I just nod - I know a genuine rant when I hear one. Oh, that man is a redblooded Jeffersonian if there ever was one!

I agree that it is the responsibility and obligation of all of us who live in democracy to study the issues and vote according to the dictates of our consciences. The scripture you quoted, Rindee, indicates that Our Heavenly Father expects it of us. Not according to idiology or party, though I realize that by saying this, I am naturally putting myself under fire for being labelled a "radical". My apologies to those who are offended by my opinion here; I guess I feel strongly about this topic! I've said my peace, and have decided to keep my political opinions in my head where they belong! I commend you, Rindee, for seeking for truth and not being afraid of asking the necessary questions to get you there.

Mattie Rae said...

Interesting quotes.

I studied some of the canidates last time we had an election but submitted my vote to one of the larger parties to help prevent one of the canidates from being president. I was happy about my choice but this year I'm not a fan of either canidate for the two major parties.

I like what you said to me once about how you think we will be accountable one day for how we placed our vote. It is better to place your vote behind someone who stands for what you believe in whether they will have a real chance of winning or not. At least you can look yourself in the mirror and know you did what you felt was right.

Unknown said...

I got my first letter back from the Senate in response to an e-mail I had sent out. That was a big step for me.

The word Conservative comes from the idea of conserving, keeping safe, and holding to the original ideals. I think that word says it all- not in a degrading way, but in a way that means we are trying to protect and hold something dear that once was established by inspired men.

...and I love the Joseph Smith quote!