I'm not a big birthday party thrower. I don't like to indulge my kids too much. I find this keeps them humble and they seem to show more gratitude when they don't expect tons of fan-fare and gifts. (This makes me happy, too). The kids each happened to have a friend over that morning, so I told the kids to go home to eat lunch, then they could come back to share Jaeda's birthday cake and ice cream (That is way too much cake, for just our little family). Boy, were those kids excited. Maybe they were expecting a "real" party, but I was serious about just sharing the cake and ice cream. We had our lunch, and 1/2 hour later, the impromptu party guests re-arrived and we sang happy birthday to Jaeda. Ian and Rayna gave her some hand-me-down toys and clothes and she opened a gift from her parents and her grandparents. Cake, ice cream, DONE!
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Jaeda's Birthday #3
So, I asked Jaeda what kind of Birthday Cake she would like to have for her birthday. She said "RED." So I said, "No, what Flavor?" She said "Chocolate." So when we went to the store, I found a flavor called "Red Velvet". I've never seen that kind of cake before, but it was very red, so we got that and some chocolate frosting. These pictures are of Jaeda licking the batter off the spatula after I mixed the cake up. I wish I would have got a picture of her with the finished product, but I didn't. The cake didn't have a particular flavor, just tasted like cake, but it was very beautiful dark red color.
Here is a video of our happy birthday song. Notice the very end. I had the candles in "candle holders". This must have confused the kids, because after they sang, the 3 littlest kids all grabbed a candle wanting to lick the frosting off. Inspecting the candle and seeing there was no frosting, they all hesitantly inserted the darkest end of the candle into their mouths. I'm sure ash doesn't quite taste as good as frosting.
Later that night, my parents and Mattie Rae showed up to wish Jaeda a happy birthday. Grandma brought Jaeda some new clothes and shoes. She also brought clothes for all my other kids, too! Wow! The 3 oldest all got matching patriotic shirts, so we got some fun pics of them.
Jaeda is such a sweetie. She enjoyed every gift she got (even the old jammies that Rayna gave her. She wore them that night to bed.) She loved the attention and the birfday pwesents, too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What? You've never heard of Red Velvet cake? Isn't that what kind of cake Rosala had for her wedding? It's kind of a southern tradition I guess. I'd never heard of it until I married into this big southern family. Now it's my favorite, but it takes ALL DAY to make. I usually only do it for my father-in-law's and my husband's birthdays. I've tried the cake mix, thinking it would solve all my problems, but it tastes nothing like the "real" thing. Still a good cake for little girls who want red though - cause if there's one thing it is, it's red! Not very fun to clean up the batter - it stains EVERYTHING. Anyway, glad you found the perfect solution for an otherwise perplexing problem (red chocolate cake).
Post a Comment