In an attempt to control my little world during the summer of no-schedules and chaos, I thought up some ways to occupy my children's time with wholesome activities and continue their learning throughout the summer. This also takes up most of our mornings and I have found that it makes them happier! Who would have thought. Yesterday Rick didn't have to work and so he let me sleep in (what a guy!). By the time I got out of bed, it seemed that everyone had their work done and deep into play-time, so I skipped school. Boy, by the afternoon everyone was grumpy and spent. The kids were bugging each other, they were getting into trouble, and both parents were considering an early bedtime for the kids just to get the rotten day over with. After one frustrating conversation with a child, Rick turned to me and said "They didn't get school today."
I don't know why it is, but I find that my kids are much better behaved when they have WORK to do. Sometimes they complain, it is true. But they are usually much better behaved, more respectful and obedient, and more grateful for everything when they have worked.
This is our summer school plan for every week-day morning:
around 9:00 a.m. -ish I play "Love at Home" on the piano. This is their school bell (and I get my piano practice in!). When they hear this song, they know it's time to come to school. They are to get their calendar and be seated at the kitchen table before I'm finished with the song.
We have morning family prayer (which wasn't happening before) and then a quick little devotional (a scripture, a thought from the friend, or a quote from a general authority). Then we talk about how we can apply this to our lives and our family.
Then we talk about what is going on today. Each kid tells what chores they are responsible for that day and if there is anything else that involves them, then I let them know then (like scouts, or a family outing, or if we have company coming...) My kids are much better behaved when what is expected of them is clearly understood.
Then we have school. We usually just do one short worksheet or assignment having to do with the subject of the day. I use their workbooks from the previous school year and there are some great free resources online. I just print off a worksheet that morning- no brainer. For Jaeda, we just work on letter recognition every day.
Monday- Spelling/Handwriting practice
Tuesday- Math (our goal for Ian is to get him comfortable with his multiplication facts before school starts again)
Wednesday- journal/Blog (I've set up a private blog for each of my kids to help them with their writing skills and typing skills. I give them a topic and they can write on that subject or anything else they feel like, but they each have a minimum number of sentences they have to write about it.)
Thursday- science
Friday- art/music
After school, they are to do their chores. This usually brings us right up to lunch time. It makes me happy to see them productive and then I'm happy to let them play when they are done. I think they enjoy the one on one time and attention I give them during that time (I'm not so good with this normally). Having prayer and a spiritual thought really sets the mood for our home that day, and it is obvious when we miss a day.
4 comments:
You are so amazing...you inspire me! I think I need this in my home too. What a great idea.
I LOVE this idea. I've been trying to do about 30 minutes of "school" with Abby each morning too. It's hard, but I have noticed that she does better on the days we do it. Plus, it's pretty much the only time I can get her to sit and spend some time with me and not be out running around with the neighborhood kids :) I like your blog. You take fabulous pictures. Can I hire you to take our family pics???
It's amazing how children thrive on structure, schedules and the like.
My kids do so much better when I keep them on a schedule during the day.
You are a GREAT Mom!!!
Okay, while this is the best idea ever, I know I will never do it, so how about if you come buy the house next to me (or across from me - both are for sale!) and do it for me?! Perfect solution! It's all I can do to survive breakfast and cleanup without losing my mind. I don't think I'm cut from the same cloth as everyone around me. I have good intention, but only until around 9:00 a.m. (and I don't get up until 8:30, so you can see what I'm dealing with).
Post a Comment